Hello, Happy brunching day (Sunday). Today I am returning to the glorious realm of breakfast/ brunch food and whipping up some super fancy french toast.
As if french toast wasn’t delicious enough already; I add chocolate chips, roasted hazelnuts and a blueberry jelly/ sauce (depending on how long you leave it to set). This may not be the healthiest of meals but blueberries are a super food so…. basically this is one of your five a day. Are you sold yet?
If not then you should know that this is also incredibly easy to make. Whisk together vanilla extract, eggs and milk and then submerge slices of beautiful chocolatey brioche in the mixture and fry in a little bit of butter for five minutes. Boil together blueberries, water and sugar and drizzle it over the toast and voila! Breakfast is served!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 12 slices of chocolate chip brioche
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp of milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g blueberries
- 75g caster sugar
- 75 ml water
- 1 knob of butter
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 50g hazelnuts, halved
- 4 tbsp of natural yogurt
- Mix the blueberries, sugar and water in a saucepan. Place the saucepan onto the hob bring it to the boil. Leave it at boiling point for five minutes, the blueberry’s shape should start to break down; though not completely.
- Take the saucepan off the heat and leave to cool: the longer you leave the blueberries to cool, the more they will set.
- Whisk together the milk, eggs and vanilla extract in a large plate until completely combined. Submerge each piece of brioche in this mixture.
- In a large frying pan add the butter and turn the hob up to medium heat. Add the brioche to the pan and cook for three minutes on either side until lightly browned, ensure the brioche and egg are cooked through.
- Meanwhile in a small frying pan, fry the hazelnuts on a low heat until lightly toasted.
- On a plate, pile up 3 pieces of french toast per person. Drizzle over the blueberry sauce and dollop 1 tbsp of natural yogurt and then sprinkle over a handful of hazelnuts.
I hope you enjoy cooking and eating this dish and I will be posting on here again soon!