This recipe was originally created on my summer holiday in Germany having accidentally spent 11 euros on, what turned out to be, under ripe vine tomatoes at a farmers market. As I did not want to bring them back home on my carry on I decided to cook them with shallots and wine to add sweetness and thus this recipe was born.
Chicken parm is a perfect weeknight meal; the ingredients are simple and probably already in your fridge, it is easy to prepare and everyone in your life will love it. Once I originally made this I went on to make it another 3 times over the space of 2 weeks – it was that much of a hit.
A note for my vegetarian friends and those who are wanting to reduce their meat intake you can substiute the chicken for aubergine in this recipe – but I also have an aubergine parmigiana recipe up on my blog here.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
1 free range chicken breast
2 tbsp plain flour
salt and pepper
3 tbsp olive oil
1 shallot, finely sliced
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
200g cherry tomatoes
150 ml dry white wine
1 ball of mozzarella, sliced
50g parmesan cheese, grated
basil leaves, to garnish
- Preheat the grill (or Broiler if you are American).
- Using a sharp knife slice the chicken breast in half length ways, you should now have two thin escalopes. Season the chicken generously with salt. Mix together the flour with a little salt and pepper. Dip the chicken in the flour so that it is evenly coated.
- Heat a large oven proof pan over a medium high heat, add in 2 tbsp of olive oil. Fry the chicken for 4 mins on both sides until the surface is golden brown and crisp. Remove from the pan and set to one side.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the pan, lower the heat to medium low and then fry the shallots and garlic with a pinch of salt for 5 mins until soft and fragrant. Add the tomatoes and wine to the pan and turn the heat up to medium high – cook until two thirds of the wine had evaporated and the tomatoes have softened. Stir through the butter and season with a little salt to taste.
- Return the chicken to the pan and top each chicken escalope with Parmesan and slices of mozzarella. Place under the grill for 5 mins until the cheese has melted.
- Top with torn basil leaves and serve with bread or pasta. If serving with pasta, toss is through the tomatoes with a little pasta water to make a sauce.