How does a fuss free vegetarian breakfast sound?
I know, I know it’s what you’ve been waiting for all these years…
In Britain we pride ourselves on our hearty, greasy, naughty breakfast (the full English) and I have to admit that I am partial to one every now and then – particularly when battling a hangover. Most of the time however I crave something a little lighter and kinder to my body – something fresh and delicious and devoid of processed meat. These sweetcorn fritters fit the bill perfectly – whip up a batch of batter at the start of the week, keep it in the fridge and you can enjoy genuine and healthy fast food every day.
Add to the recipe if you wish – grilled halloumi or smoked salmon would make a wonderful addition to the dish and could fill you up a bit more if you wanted to serve this at lunch time.
Prep time – 10 minutes
Cooking time – 15 minutes
- 2 corn on the cob
- 2 courgettes
- 5 eggs
- 2 tbsp flour (of your choice – I used plain)
- 1 large bunch chives, finely sliced
- 4 tbsp natural yogurt
- 4 tsp sesame seeds
- olive oil
- chili flake (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Use a sharp knife to shave the corn kernels off of the cob. Cut the ends off of the courgette and then grate it. Place the grated courgette in muslin cloth or a tea towel and squeeze it until all excess moisture has been drained out – the dryer the courgette the better the fritter.
- Place the corn kernels, courgette, 1 egg, plain flour and 3/4 of the chives into a food processor and blend until fully combined. Season the mixture generously with salt and pepper – it should have a loose consistency.
- Place a large frying pan on a medium heat and drizzle it with olive olive oil. Cook several fritters at a time by dropping ladles of mixture onto the pan and frying them for 4 – 5 minutes on either side until the surface is lightly browned and the fritter is solid.
- Meanwhile boil four eggs (or an egg for each person eating). Everyone has different techniques for boiling an egg and how well done they like it: for reference I like to place a room temperature egg in boiling water and cook it for 5 minutes. Remove the eggs from the pan and place in cold water to cool them down so that you can remove the shell.
- Now to layer up the plate – place several fritters on each plate, spoon over natural yogurt and top it off with the boiled egg. Sprinkle over the remaining chives, sesame seeds and chili flakes if you are using them. Finally drizzle over salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil.
Thank you so much for reading this post, I hope that you enjoyed it! Please let me know what you think in the comments as I love hearing from you and do not forget to follow me on Instagram, Facebook and and Pinterest (my username is wishtodish) plus subscribe on here to see more recipes and foodie musings from me.