Let’s taco’bout your soon to be go to summer supper!
This may be a bold thing to say but I think this is my favourite Wish to Dish recipe so far! It is quite simply summer in a taco – you are transported to a sunny beach with each delicious bite (without the hassle of actually buying the ticket!).
These tacos are a Thai – Mexican fusion which may seem an odd combo to some but lime and coriander are the great pillars of both cuisines so it only made sense to marry them together! Tacos and Mexican food in general have a bit of a reputation for being very cheese and meat heavy so I was to keen to create a light and nutritious alternative. In this recipe all of the components are freshly made from super healthy ingredients and the resulting taco is just so refreshing and beautiful that it far exceeds any of the fast food alternatives! I have snuck in a little kick of heat to the prawns with red curry paste but it is mellowed by the wonderful wonderful coconut cream, the mango adds this tropical and creamy squeeze of flavour and of course what are tacos without guacamole?
P.S. I know that lots of people dislike prawns/ seafood in general (why though?!?!) so you could instead marinate chicken, tofu, sweet potato, butternut squash or whatever you fancy with the curry-coconut sauce but obviously adjust cooking times accordingly.
P.P.S In case you needed any more reasons to cook this dish it is a 20 minute recipe!!
Makes 6 – 8 tacos
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Tortilla wraps
- 250 g raw king prawns
- 1 tsp red curry paste
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 avocados
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 large bunch coriander, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 mango, stone removed, peeled and diced
- a handful of your favourite salad leaves
- extra lime juice and coriander to serve
- In a bowl combine the coconut cream, ginger and curry paste before coating the prawns in the mixture. Leave to one side.
- Remove the stone and skin from the avocado. Mash the flesh of the avocado before adding the lime juice, olive oil and coriander – stir this all together until it is combined. Season generously and set to one side.
- Stick the prawns onto metal or wooden skewers (this is just to make it easier to turn them over whilst cooking it is not essential). Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan until it has melted and then add the prawn skewers to the pan. Cook for around 5 minutes, turning half way through cooking. When the prawns have turned pink they are done so remove them from the heat.
- To serve lay out the wraps, mango, leaves, guac and prawns and let everyone assemble their taco as they please! I like to serve it with extra coriander and lime as it can add a final pop of flavour.
Thank you so much for reading this post, I hope that you enjoyed it! Please let me know what you think in the comments as I love hearing from you and do not forget to follow me on Instagram, Facebook and on this blog to see more recipes and foodie musings from me. The link to do both can be found below if on a tablet/ phone or in the side bar if on a computer. I have also recently joined Pinterest so follow me on there for even more foodie inspiration – my username is Wish to Dish.