Hi, hello! Congratulations on making it through another week – how is it April already?!
I have always been a fan of DIY finger food: serving up a mish mash of little dishes and letting your guests/ family/ friends pick and chose what they wish to eat. It is a sociable and generous way of eating that is celebrated in many cultures: Spaniards share a selection of tapas in bars for example and it is commonplace in India to have a vast spread of curries and rice dishes to chose from. Today I am applying this “pick and chose” principal in this kebab recipe. An aromatic lamb kebab infused with ginger, cumin, paprika and ground almonds that is served with optional wraps, sauces, seeds and vegetables. When I served this to my boyfriend he shunned the pomegranate seeds and salad leaves but ate many a kebab, whereas I am all about those greens! So for us it worked out perfectly.
N.B. I have written this recipe for two people as 1) I was cooking for two when I made it and 2) it makes it very easy for you guys to multiply it upwards to serve as many as you wish. The more people sharing food the better!
So that is a wrap (ha!) on me waffling on – I hope you enjoy the recipe.
Prep time – 20 minutes
Cooking time – 15 minutes
- 250 g minced lamb
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 thumb of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp ground almonds
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper
- 100 g natural yogurt
- 1/2 cucumber, finely diced
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 large handful coriander leaves, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 1 large handful of any salad leaf
- Optional: diced tomatoes, peppers, celery, orange
- 4 wraps
- Preheat the grill to 250 degrees. Place foil on a large sheet pan and grease lightly to avoid the meat sticking.
- In a bowl use your hands to combine together the lamb, ginger, almonds, ground coriander, paprika, cumin and two cloves of garlic. Season generously with salt and pepper. Separate them into 8 and then shape them around kebab sticks. Place on your sheet pan and under the grill for approximately 15 minutes, turning half way through cooking.
- For pickled onions: stir together the vinegar and sliced onions and generously season with salt – about 1 tbsp. Leave to one side.
- For the tzatziki: combine the natural yogurt, remaining garlic and cucumber and season with salt and pepper.
- For the coriander oil: in a food processor blitz up the coriander leaves until fine and then gradually add in the olive oil, season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Heat the wraps up in a frying pan or under the grill. Lay out the salad, seeds, pickled onions, wraps and selection of sauces on the table. Remove the lamb from the grill and add to the spread.
Thank you so much for reading this post, I hope that you enjoyed it! Please let me know what you think in the comments as I love hearing from you and do not forget to follow me on instagram and on this blog to see more recipes and foodie musings from me. The link to do both can be found below if on a tablet/ phone or in the side bar if on a computer >>>. I have also recently joined pintrest so follow me on there for even more foodie inspiration – my username is Wish to Dish.