Hello again! It is very well documented that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It is also, in my humble opinion, the best one, so expect to find many a breakfasty/ brunchy food here. Today I am starting this off with the breakfast burrito, an efficient and delicious way to mix together and wrap up the best elements of the full English with a bit of Mexican zing.
Traditionally burritos were filled with beef and refried beans and wrapped up in a tortilla to keep the meat warm. These modest ingredients have been added to over the years and the dish has evolved into the gourmet versions that we see today. I am sharing my recipe for what I view to be the perfect breakfast burrito: a combination of crispy bacon, chili and garlic roasted tomatoes, cheesy scrambled eggs and avocado, topped off with coriander, a swirl of sour cream and a generous glug of lime juice. However, as always, feel free to play around with this recipe so that it contains all of your favourite flavours – maybe add in some black beans and peppers or sausages and hash browns. Furthermore do not feel limited to eating this only in the morning, it is just as lovely for lunch or an indulgent midnight snack!
Serves 2 people
10 minutes prep time
15 minutes cooking time
- 100g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 sprig of thyme, pick the leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small chili, diced (optional)
- 4 rashers of unsmoked back bacon
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 75g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 50 g fresh spinach, chopped roughly
- 1 knob of butter
- 1 small handful coriander
- 2 large tortilla wraps
- 1 lime
- 50 ml sour cream
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees (gas mark 6)
- On a baking tray lay out the cherry tomatoes and sprinkle over the garlic, thyme, salt and pepper plus the chili if you are using it and then drizzle over 1 tbsp of olive oil. Place this in the oven to roast for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile fry the bacon in the remaining 1 tbsp of oil in a pan until it is at your desired level of crispyness.
- In a saucepan heat the butter on a medium heat and then fry the spring onions until softened. Pour the eggs into the pan and stir over a medium heat for a couple of minutes until they are almost done, at this point add in the cheese, salt and pepper and take off the heat once the cheese has melted and combined.
- Place one tortilla at a time in a microwave for 20 seconds.
- It is now time to compile! Lay your tortilla wrap out and pile on the spinach, coriander, avocado, tomatoes, bacon and eggs and then squeeze on some lime juice and dollop over some sour cream.
- Wrap this up and eat!
I hope you enjoy and let me know in the comments what you think!