Welcome to the second part of my summer salad series!
I have written a rather lengthy and arguably rambling introduction to this Summer Salad Series in my Marinated Tomato, Rocket and Mozzarella post (linked below) so I shall not repeat myself! Basically I wanted to share a selection of delicious and healthy salad recipes with you that can be enjoyed at any time or in any capacity: as a side at a BBQ, packed up into a lunchbox or devoured as a meal on their own!
Today’s salad will soon become your go-to summertime meal! The ingredients list is a role call of some of my all time favourite foods and I think that they work wonderfully together. The salty flavour of the halloumi is balanced by the mild and sweet potato. The kale is left uncooked in order to retain all of it’s vitamins but is instead massaged with lemon juice to soften up the leaves; and then tossed in a dressing of avocado and fresh herbs so delicious that even the biggest kale-ophobe will lap it up! I like to top the salad off with some lightly roasted pine nuts as I adore the crunch it brings to the dish – contrasting textures are an essential component of a great salad or indeed any great meal!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 250 g halloumi, cut into slices
- 100 g kale, coarsely chopped
- 1 avocado
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 large handful of basil
- 1 large handful of parsley
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Toss the sweet potato wedges in 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp paprika, salt and pepper. Lay them out on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until cooked through and crispy on the outside.
- Meanwhile massage the kale with half of the lemon juice set it to one side.
- In a food processor blend together the herbs, avocado, garlic and remaining lemon juice. Gradually add the remaining olive oil until you get a smooth consistency. Taste the dressing and season with salt and pepper accordingly.
- Pour the dressing over the kale and toss it together until well combined.
- Place a frying pan on a high heat and cook the halloumi for five minutes, turning half way through cooking.
- In a separate pan fry the pine nuts for a few minutes on a medium heat until they turn a golden brown colour.
- Remove the sweet potato from the oven and layer up your salad! Lay out the dressed kale on a platter then place the halloumi and sweet potato on top of it, finish by sprinkling over the pine nuts and any fresh herbs you have lying around.
Thank you so much for reading this post, I hope that you enjoyed it! Please let me know what you think in the comments as I love hearing from you and do not forget to follow me on Instagram, Facebook and on this blog to see more recipes and foodie musings from me. The link to do both can be found below if on a tablet/ phone or in the side bar if on a computer. I have also recently joined Pinterest so follow me on there for even more foodie inspiration – my username is Wish to Dish.