Hello, I hope that you are all having a lovely week so far! This is a quick post from me today to share a simple but delicious salad recipe.
My sister is a very loyal and loving supporter of my blog. The recipes I create however do not always fit into her current crazy busy schedule and eating plan which means she does not get round to cooking many of them. The only possible solution was for me to tailor make a recipe to fit her required foodie guidelines (you are welcome Poppy)! The specified guidelines were:
- Must be prepared and cooked in under half an hour.
- Enough for one dinner and lunch the next day.
- High in protein and vegetables but relatively low on carbs.
Do you agree that this recipe ticks all the boxes?? (bonus points for me as halloumi is both very high in protein and one of her all time favourite foods…).
As I always like to point out this recipe can be very easily altered to fit your own specifications. If you can’t get your hands on bulgar wheat then cous cous is a perfect substitute. If you have any peppers, cucumber or celery lying around they can also been thrown into the mix. You could use chicken breast instead of halloumi for the skewers. The world really is your oyster, especially when it comes to salads as they are so wonderfully and easily adaptable.
Prep time – 10 minutes
Cooking time – 20 minutes
- 60 g bulgar wheat
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 300 g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 large handful of parsley, finely chopped
- 1 large handful of basil, finely chopped
- 1 large handful of rocket, finely chopped
- 1 small handful of mint leaves, finely chopped
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 250 g halloumi, cut into thick slices
- Preheat a grill to 250 degrees. Prep all of the ingredients.
- Half fill a small saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Crumble in the stock cube and stir until it has dissolved. Add the bulgar wheat to the pan and cook for 15 – 20 minutes until soft.
- Line a tray with foil and drizzle a little oil onto it. Either lay the halloumi straight onto the tray or stick it onto skewers and then lay down on the tray (the latter makes in easier to turn them over but is not essential). Place the tray under the grill and cook for around 7 minutes, turning the halloumi over half way through, until it is has browned slightly.
- When the bulgar wheat is cooked drain the water in a sieve and then run cold water over it for a minute to cool it down. Shake off any excess water and then pour into a bowl. Add the tomatoes and herbs to the bowl along with the olive oil and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper (to taste) and stir until evenly combined.
- Lay the cooked halloumi on top or crumble it into the salad if you prefer. Serve with any leftover rocket leaves.
I hope that you enjoyed this recipe! Please let me know in the comments what you think and do not forget to subscribe or follow my Instagram for more recipes from me! The links to do both can be found below if on your phone/ tablet or in the side bar if on a desktop >>>