Hi guys! Today I am bringing you the ever humble and ever delicious (gastro) pub grub in the form of a fish finger sandwich…
… Obviously not any old frozen fish finger and slightly stale bread sandwhich. This is a sage and parmesan breaded cod fillet served with parma ham, minted pea puree and a lemon and garlic mayonnaise ensconced in two fluffy slices of a white bloomer loaf…
Unless you have any strong objection to fish fingers, which I doubt as even my fish phobic friends are happy to eat them, then hopefully my sales pitch can stop here! If you still need a little more persuasion then note that this takes 30 minutes from start to finish which makes it the perfect easy lunching meal. Feel free to pick and chose from the ingredients – if parma ham seems too extravagant for a sandwich then skip it and if pureed peas are not your cup of tea then give them a miss!
Prep Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 minutes
- 400g cod, bones and skin removed
- 1 eggs
- 2 slices bread (I used white but any bread would do!)
- 1 tbsp parmesan
- 1 small handful of sage leaves, coarsely slices
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 egg, whisked
- 200 g peas
- 1 tbsp mint leaves
- 4 slices of parma ham
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 garlic gloves, peeled and crushed
- juice of 1/2 lemon (approx 2 tbsp)
- salad leaves i.e pea shoots, cress, spinach etc.
- 1 cucumber (optional)
- 8 slices of bread
- butter, for the bread
- crisps, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius. Place foil down on a tray and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Slice the fish into 8 evenly sized chunks. Place the two slices of bread, parmesan, sage, salt and pepper into a food processor and blend until fine. Place the egg on one plate, flour on another plate and breadcrumbs on a third, season each one generously with salt and pepper. Then in turn dip each piece of fish with first flour then egg and then breadcrumbs and lay down on the tray. Place this in the oven and cook for twenty minutes.
- In a small saucepan boil the peas and mint for five minutes, or until soft. Drain the water from the pan and then add 1 tbsp of butter. Pour all of this into the food processor and blend until smoothed (with a few chunks in if you prefer).
- Now prep the rest of your fillings. Combine the mayo lemon juice and garlic and set to one side. Use a veg peeler to slice ribbons of cucumber.
- Take the fish out of the oven when it is golden brown on top, as I have said 20 mins should be enough.
- Now to put everything together! Butter each slice of bread and then pile on the pea puree, salad leaves, cucumber, parma ham, mayo and then the cod. Place the lid on (the other slice of bread) and then serve!
I hope that you enjoyed this recipe! Please let me know in the comments what you think and do not forget to subscribe or follow my Instagram for more recipes from me! The links to do both can be found in the side bar >>>.