Can you think of anything not to love about these potatoes?
No…? Me neither. You’re getting the perfect crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside roast potato: tossed in oregano and topped with crumbled feta. The floral, lemony flavour of the oregano is counterpointed perfectly with the salty feta that melts slightly due to the residual heat from the potatoes. These are simple but addictively good (seriously I sat and ate most of this plate for my lunch).
What do I serve these delicious morsels with? I hear you ask. Firstly they are the perfect accompaniment to your Sunday roast – particularly well with this season’s go to meat- lamb. They would also work beautifully alongside a marinated chicken breast or fillet of fish with a stack of green veg. I got the original inspiration for this recipe via the oregano and feta fries I devoured with soulvlaki at a Greek restaurant in Box Park, London. So why not cut the poatatoes into a smaller dice, try your hand at cooking souvlaki in the comfort of your home and create a Grecian inspired feast. I plan on sharing a souvlaki recipe here ASAP so stay tuned.
(I would argue that the best way to eat these potatoes is just by themselves, as a meal in their own right, but that may be too many carbs for most people!)
Serves 4 as a side dish
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 – 50 minutes
- 900 g maris piper potatoes
- vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 50 g feta cheese
- 25 g fresh oregano, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C fan oven or 200 degrees C in a standard electric or gas oven.
- Pour vegetable oil into a large roasting tray until a thin layer covers the entire base of the pan. Place in the oven so that the oil starts to heat up.
- Parboil the potatoes for 8 – 10 minutes in a large saucepan, drain them and then return them to the pan. Season generously with salt and pepper, sir in the dried oregano and then place the lid back on the pan. Holding the lid firmly in place shake the potatoes for a minute or so to roughen up the edge of the potatoes – this stage helps to create the crisp outer shell of the final roast potato.
- Carefully remove the baking tray from the oven and pour the potatoes into the oil. Use a large chef spoon to turn the potatoes around in the oil. Return to the oven and cook for 40 – 50 minutes or until golden and crispy. Remove the potatoes from the oven once or twice in this time and turn them around in the oil again so they cook evenly on all sides.
- Once cooked remove the potatoes from the oil, using kitchen towel to remove excess oil if necessary and pour into a serving dish. Sprinkle over the fresh oregano, crumble over the feta and then add a final dust with salt, stir to combine and serve.
Thank you so much for reading this post, I hope that you enjoyed it! Please let me know what you think in the comments as I love hearing from you and do not forget to follow me on Instagram, Facebook and and Pinterest (my username is wishtodish) plus subscribe on here to see more recipes and foodie musings from me.